I'm charged with animal cruelty but didn't do anything

I'm charged with animal...

I'm charged with animal cruelty but didn't do anything wrong. I spoke to the police without a lawyer now the county attorney journal has filed misdeamnor charges. what are the options?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the animal cruelty charges?

None yet I would like to mediate out of court

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the animal cruelty occur?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well the whole premise is based on the fact the dog was left outside a lot. animal control has been to house numerous times and they always said it was fine since there was a dog door.

3/20/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. So do you want to resolve this and take a plea or fight this and go to trial?

Upon reading the charges it appears that this would be a misdemeanor. I cannot have any misdemeanor charges on my record. I can negotiate something If the charges are dropped.

Thank you for the reply. If you are a first time offender, you can ask the State if they would allow you to enter into a diversion program. A diversion program would allow you to get the case dismissed and keep your record clean. It normally requires you to stay out of trouble, for a period of 3-6 months, pay fines and court costs and perform community service. If you do it all, the end result is normally a dismissal. These type of programs are set up to allow first time offenders to learn from their mistake and keep their records clean. It can be something that you ask about when you appear and the State will determine if you are eligible. If this is not an option, you need to see if they would allow you to plea to a lesser and if they will amend this but if not you need to go to trial and make the State prove the charge against you, beyond a reasonable doubt.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Can this be done out of court?

If you retain an attorney, they can contact the prosecutor and speak with them ahead of time to try and work out a plea deal but if it is accepted, it needs to be done in court.

I would like to stay out of court and see if I can get the diversion type of a deal.

Yes but this all has to be finalized in court, so you would have to appear at some point. If you retain a criminal defense attorney, they can start working on this now, so when the court date arrives, it is all set up and just needs to be accepted, if it is an option.

was this problem created by me talking to the police directly instead of an attorney?
It is possible that you made admissions and they had evidence and a basis to file charges as a result of you speaking with them. A person should never speak with the police unless legal counsel is present as their statements and admissions can be used against them.
thanks for your help. I think I have created problem. SO I need to look for a criminal defense attorney?
that is correct. This is a criminal charge and a criminal defense attorney needs to be hired. Thank you again and your are very welcome. If you have not already I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time just so the site will provide me with the proper credit for my help and time.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney