Second opinion] When our parents die, does the homestead…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hello! When...

Second opinion] Hello! When our parents die, does the homestead transfer to the children?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are your Parents in? It matters because laws vary by location.

AZ

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have your Parents taken so far?

Nothing we know of!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Dad just passed away with no will, but Mom is still alive!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for your question. No homestead does not transfer. Each person claiming a homestead exemption on property that they own must establish their own right to the homestead exemption and rights. You can find a statement of the law of homestead by going to the following Arizona State link: https://www.azleg.gov/Briefs/Senate/HOMESTEAD%20EXEMPTION.pdf

Once you have reviewed that information completely, if you have follow up questions, please feel free to ask and I will attempt to assist you. If none, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 20th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.