I rent an apartment month to month in a condomium.cmy

Customer Question
I rent an apartment...

I rent an apartment month to month in a condomium.cmy neighbor sits on the board and has complained 3 times to the building manager over my time living at this address (18 months) about second hand cigarette smoke. twice in the last month. the building manager has taken a mildly threatening tone w me, what are my legal rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nyc

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I leave the windows open, bought an air filter, and smoke only on the terrace, outside. candles. after their first complaint a year ago (twice in the last month for a total of three) i bought the filter, and weather permitting windows stay open. i only smoke on the terrace except for storms or coldest weather.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are no smoking prohibitions in my lease and the building is not a no smoking building.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
I assume smoking is permitted.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.A demand to cease and desist is often sufficient. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
not acceptable. I asked what are my rights? not a question that "get a lawyer" is a proper response.what are my rights?
You have a right to act as you have been. There is no violation and you should not be bothered. You have a right to demand any interference stop and seek court order if needed.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I cannot be evicted?
Correct. Not on this basis. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Thanks. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!