My mother has dementia and is in an assisted living

Hello, My mother has...

Hello, My mother has dementia and is in an assisted living facility. She pushed a resident and that resident broke two bones. I'm worried about her estate being sued. She doesn't have much, a house with some equity and a car. I have loaned her $55,000 over the last couple of years and figured I would get it when I sold or bought her house and am now worried about losing the money I've paid her.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I could buy her house with savings, though would rather soon an interest so I can keep her financing, though I'd rather lose he financing if it means losing my income. I am spending down down her equity and she will eventually go on ALTEC that has a 5-year look back, though I've been told I can purchase her home at the assessed value, but I'm not sure if that is right. She is in AZ. so is the house

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AZ lawyer about this?

I did call an Elder attorney, but he told me he didn't handle this kind of law and didn't know whom I should talk to.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has he taken so far?

That's it, sending flowers to the woman who was hurt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that's it.

3/19/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Did the resident threaten to sue?
No, but the lady at the nursing home said that the son is very upset - doesn't help that he is on his way to New Jersey to his dad's funeral.
The facility has an obligation to safeguard and should cover any injuries sustained which appear minimal anyway.
She had two broken bones
The individual likely has insurance and facility should cover any amount not covered by insurance as it is required to supervise. I would not be concerned and litigation unlikely.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!if you get an automatic phone call request, you can accept it and a phone based law expert will handle. if you prefer to proceed by chat with me, just reply to the chat. some customers choose both, but the choice is yours! Thanks
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Can I become a partial owner in the property without the lender's approval and can I buy her equity out without the lender's approval. If we both own the property, would my portion be liable for anything she does.
Your portion would not be liable. If there is a loan or lien need lender consent to be added on.
If she was liable, might I lose the money she owes me?
Theoretically if someone collected against her assets. Seems unlikely.
Ok, thank you. I will worry less and take the steps I should. Thank you very much.
Very welcome. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.