It has to do with avoiding paying a judgement in a civil…

It has to do...

It has to do with avoiding paying a judgement in a civil case that took place in Maryland. I live in Virginia now and cant find statutes about reciprocity for civil judgements

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MD lawyer about this?

No, wouldnt Virginia law take precedence if the plaintiff seeks to garnish my wage earned in VA or tries to garnish my bank?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Well, i just dont keep much money in my bank account

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I couldnt get the case reopened and i refuse, so long as i can, to not pay the judgement. It was illegal in nature because of landlord tenant law in Md

3/19/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hello I am an attorney here to help. Unfortunately, under the Full Faith and Credit Clause, VA law so have to recognize the decision made by the MD Court. Accordingly, even though that you are living in a different state, the judgment will still be good against you. I'm very sorry. What other questions did you have for me today?
But what it the process for the plaintiff being able to collect? For example, am i entitled to a hearing in a virginia court?
The plaintiff can either sell it to a third party debt collector or they can either garnish your wages or get a lein on your property. Because you live in VA now, they would have to start that process in a VA court. And yes, the court will send you notice and you'll have a chance to defend any attachment of your wages or any leins they requested. Plus, the law allows for a certain amount of your property to be Exempted and the law generally allows that only up to 25% of your paychecks can be garnished. Did you have any other questions for me today?
No i think thats it
1 more
Today i got a notice from an attorney stating that he was appearing on the case. Is it possible that his firm has purchased the debt?
Good question. It's probably not the case. It's likely this firm is just their attorney that is acting on their behalf. In my experience as a debt defense attorney, these kinds of collection attorneys are common. Did you have any other questions?
If not, would you mind providing me a five star rating today?
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Will do, thanks

You're too kind, thank you!