I’m not too sure how candid to be. My question is if one has…

Hello, I’m not too...

Hello, I’m not too sure how candid to be. My question is if one has a felony warrant in the state of Ohio, can one still obtain a passport and travel outside of the country safely? The felony warrant is for receiving stolen property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have receiving stolen property charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

The warrant has never been served. No court date has been set. Date charges were filed 12/17/99

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Ohio lawyer about this yet?

No and I’ve lived outside of Ohio since 2000

3/19/2018
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Unfortunately, a passport application will typically be denied where a person has a felony warrant outstanding. According to Title 22: Foreign Relations, PART 51—PASSPORTS, Subpart E — Denial, Revocation, and Restriction of Passports,
§ 51.60 Denial and restriction of passports:
(b) The Department may refuse to issue a passport in any case in which the Department determines or is informed by competent authority that:

(1) The applicant is the subject of an outstanding Federal warrant of arrest for a felony, including a warrant issued under the Federal Fugitive Felon Act (18 U.S.C. 1073); or

(2) The applicant is subject to a criminal court order, condition of probation, or condition of parole, any of which forbids departure from the United States and the violation of which could result in the issuance of a Federal warrant of arrest, including a warrant issued under the Federal Fugitive Felon Act; or

(9) The applicant is the subject of an outstanding state or local warrant of arrest for a felony

Furthermore, even if you had a passport, or could get one, you may be denied the right to travel. Passengers are routinely screened by TSA's Secure Flight database. This database requires certain identifying information and then matches it against certain government databases. If there is a match you may find yourself on a No Fly list. The hitch is that you will only know whether you're on the list when you are denied boarding.

As you probably know, there is no statute of limitations on a warrant. It remains active and outstanding until it is addressed. You may wish to speak to a criminal defense attorney in Ohio about getting the warrant recalled and try to address the matter at hand so that you can travel in the future without concern.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate the information.

My pleasure. I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance to you this evening.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
RobertJDFL, Attorney