Just received mail from Toyota with my name and drivers

Just received mail from...

Just received mail from Toyota with my name and drivers license number showing thru the window

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None just got the mail and know that violates hippa laws

Answered in 1 day by:
3/21/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Yeah I can wait another day
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Unfortunately, the HIPPA laws only apply to situations where your medical information is exposed without your consent; not information regarding your DL number and your name.

It's possible that this appears to be what’s called a public disclosure of private facts. This means that if someone is disclosing private facts about another, it could be actionable in civil court.

If a person was to sue, then they must establish four elements. Those are:

1. Public Disclosure: The disclosure of facts must be public. This means that they have to disclose to some other party.

2. Private Fact: These are private facts; not facts that are generally known (e.g. a person cannot sue on these grounds if the information was already given in an interview to a newspaper).

3. Offensive to a Reasonable Person

4. Not Newsworthy: The facts disclosed must not be newsworthy, meaning that there is no legitimate public concern. For example, if a nuclear power plant is dumping toxins into a nearby water supply, that is newsworthy.

his appears to be what’s called a public disclosure of private facts. This means that if someone is disclosing private facts about another, it could be actionable in civil court.

3. Offensive to a Reasonable Person

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising about the merits of the claim on the grounds that your DL # could be used adversely to you because they weren't careful. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

That’s all thank you for the information
It is my pleasure. Would you mind providing me a 5-star rating today? I would sincerely ***** *****
Legal Eagle, Lawyer