My grandson has a court date, 19 April. He is 21, makes $13…

My grandson has a...

My grandson has a court date, 19 April. He is 21, makes $13 per hour, 40 a week. The charge against him is serious. He was told he is not eligible for a public defender, and he cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Can you tell me the rule for eligibility for a public defender? This is in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, thank you Richard

Lawyer's Assistant: What was your grandson charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?

He was charged with possession of a gun not registered, and when he was stopped they found it in his glove compartment. His court date is 19 April.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a SC lawyer about this yet?

No, because I am told he cannot afford to consult with one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was stopped and he claims he was not speeding, but there was also a small amount of marijuana in the car. They dropped that charge. Now he has to go to court for the gun possession charge

3/19/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK This court date is in Spartanburg County SC on April 19. Charge is possession of an unregistered firearm.

Excellent. Bear with me a moment.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Phone call session started

Hello! I see that you requested a phone call. That’s great news! I have just one caller ahead of you, but you will be live on the phone with me in about 30 minutes.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most in advertising can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Check out the website for your state’s LRS: South Carolina LRS click here

You can also search for attorneys on a website called Lawyer Legion (click here) that scours all 50 states based on the kind of attorney you need.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer