I’m trying to determine the appropriate way to remove my…

Customer Question
I’m trying to determine...

I’m trying to determine the appropriate way to remove my parents from my home (ejectment or unlawful detainer). There is no lease. They have been here for over 4 years with me asking them to find their own place, get a job. They haven’t. I have asked them several times to leave. This past weekend my dad left and my mom let him back in. I need to get them out as fast as legally possible. Can you please help?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I printed papers today for the unlawful detainer. But then I didn’t know if that was applicable because my dad said he wouldn’t leave and his address on his license is here at my house. I’ve called several attorneys and have gotten different answers or just left messages.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Riverview Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They have been evicted from every house I remember them living in. So I know they will argue somehow to stay longer. I guess that’s it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Unfortunately, once you allow a person, or persons, to make residence in your home, they assume the rights of a month to month tenant. This is true even if they are relatives, pay no rent and you consider them a "houseguest" The law considers them a tenant.

Therefore, under Florida law, you will need to give 15 day's notice to terminate their "tenancy". Give it in writing, including a specific date when they must vacate, if not sooner (voluntarily). The notice need not be anything formal. A letter that you hand them is fine.

If they fail to vacate by the stated date then you will need to file a forcible detainer action in the local court to get an order of ejectment. The order is then placed with the sheriff for execution and they come out to the property to remove the tenant/guest and their personal property.

I wish I could tell you there is an easier way, but unless you follow this process, you expose yourself to civil liability.

If you need to go to court you can do so pro se, but you may find it more efficient to use an attorney. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question. There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If that is the case then why is there such thing as an unlawful detainer complaint or ejectment?

Because the courts do not want people taking the law into their own hands and ejecting people from their homes by force without legal process.

Are you still online with me?