Just retired from the City of St.pete after over 34 years on…

Just retired from the...

Just retired from the City of St.pete after over 34 years on the fire department. I dropped out of the IAFF Union in 2017. The city sent all my holiday time and sick leave to a VEBA trust fund that helps supplement insurance after deductibles are met. However it only pays for Dental and Vision insurance. The city payroll said it was under union contract. I am not a member of the union therefore I believe the City should pay me the money I earned. The total comes to $14288.17. What are your thoughts on this situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I have not spoke with either. I am starting the process now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No I dropped out of the union in 2017.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My insurance is only for medical, no dental or vision insurance. Therefore it is impossible to get the money I have earned the way they have set it up. VEBA only pay for dental and vision after co pays a met.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, even when employees drop out of the union, which they have a right to do, non-union members can still be governed by the terms of that union contract. So, even though you dropped out of the union in 2017, legally the benefit plan and payment of the holiday and sick time is governed by the terms of the contract, meaning that the city must follow that contract for ALL employees, the contract does not say only "union employees" the contract says ALL employees in general I am afraid, so that is how they stick you in there and get away with putting the funds in the VEBA fund for supplemental payments.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney