I had a small claims case in which I won, I was granted

I had a small...

I had a small claims case in which I won, I was granted $6000 plus court costs. She didn't pay so I filed to garnish her wages. Now her attorney called and said if I would accept $800 and drop the case or she was going to file bankruptcy. The court hearing is this Friday. Do I have any options?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Only small claims court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can she do this?

3/19/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Yes, she can file bankruptcy at anytime. The question is whether the attorney is bluffing or not. If you agree to take the $800, she can still file bankruptcy. If she files bankruptcy within 90 days of you taking the $800, you may lose that money since the trustee will take it back from you as a "preference." A debtor cannot prefer one creditor over another in making a payment.

If she files bankruptcy, her assets will be taken by the trustee to pay her creditors (including you). I would recommend that you not take her offer and proceed with the hearing on Friday on the garnishment.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Lori
Lori, Attorney
I feel much better about the decision after talking to Lori

You are welcome. Good luck!