It's kind of a story. We signed a lease with a new apt

Hi, It's kind of...

Hi, It's kind of a long story. We signed a lease with a new apt complex in San Marcos. It was for the last semester of college. The apts were supposed to be finished in Aug 2017 but were not finished until Dec 2017. They put her up in a motel which they paid. She was able to move in the last week in Nov. she graduated Dec. 15. She moved out Dec 16. opps not finished.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The had my daughter sign on Dec 8th that she would be responsible to sublease the apartment. She tried but no takers. It has been hard because they have even had trouble for all the negative media they had when the didn't finish the apartments. The still don't have them all leased but they are holding us to the lease until it runs out in July if they don't get it leased.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We also flooded and are having a had time. I simply cannot afford the apartment that she is no longer in. We also thought that we paid a fee to get out of it but they insist that we have to pay.

3/19/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

Is the lease only in your daughter's name? Did she put the landlord on notice as to the negative media/press and the effect on the ability to rent the place (i.e. caused by their own actions and negligence in completing the apts)?

Is your daughter staying the San Marcos, Tx area now that she has graduated? If not, it is not very likely that the landlord will try to pursue 3-4 months of rent against her if she cannot sublet the apt.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Lori
Lori, Attorney
I think I co signed on it. We have both put them on notice. She has been back in Houston since she graduated.
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started