Can a company terminate you while under doctors care trying…

Customer Question
Can a company terminate...

Can a company terminate you while under doctors care trying to get of having cancer

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

What do you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Losing my insurance this friday

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

The answer to your question is no, unless they terminated you for some legitimate, non-discriminatory reason.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, employers are required to provide their employees with reasonable accommodations. According to the U.S. government:

“A reasonable accommodation is any change or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits a qualified applicant or employee with a disability to participate in the job application process, to perform the essential functions of a job, or to enjoy benefits and privileges of employment equal to those enjoyed by employees without disabilities.”

An employer also cannot take negative employment action against an employee for asserting their ADA rights. During an application for a job, an employer can ask if you can perform the duties of the job with or without reasonable accommodation, but they can’t ask you about your disability. An employer can refuse to hire if the nature of the disability would pose an objective and unreasonable risk to the employee or others.

If an employee feels as if they have been discriminated against, then they can file a discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

I worked there when I got cancer and the dotor put me down as disabled to work at all because I cant even drive from the noropaty I have my whole body is numb

I see. You may want to consider a disability discrimination complaint against them.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one. There are some basic processes that the EEOC files that I think you should be aware of, and I have listed them below:

The initial pre-complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.105. This is the process whereby you may bring this action to an Equal Employment Opportunity Counselor within usually 300 days. The Counselors must advise individuals in writing of their rights and responsibilities, including the right to request a hearing after an investigation by the agency. The process may go through informal mediation wherein the employer and the employee try to come to a reasonable agreement. It’s voluntary and I highly recommend it in most cases.

Regardless, the EEO Counselor will issue a report based on their initial findings. Once the employee receives notice of the findings, they have 15 days to file a formal complaint.

The formal complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.106-108. Basically, the EEO will conduct a full investigation and come up with a Report of Investigation. The employee has the right to request an administrative hearing with an administrative judge after receiving the ROI or they may sue in a federal district court. Mediation is always still on the table. If the parties cannot mediate, then the parties will go through the administrative process or a federal civil proceedings and then the judge will issue a “Final Agency Decision” (for administrative hearings) or a ruling (for civil actions) If the employee doesn’t like the decision, then they can always appeal. A quick Google search will reveal your local EEO office so check that out.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?