We are trying to find out if we have to file my brothers…

We are trying to...

We are trying to find out if we have to file my brothers taxes as he passed away on feb.5 thwith no will

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Reno nv.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ty

3/19/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

The answer is yes. Even if he had no will, a last tax filing must be done. This is called a FINAL RETURN. You can see the STEP BY STEP instructions and the forms HERE. Technically this would not be due until next year, but it may be filed early.

Good luck.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

I only have to file for 2018 and not 2017

No. You have to file for 2017 and 2018. This is what I meant.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law