My sister passed away on 2/11/18 and she has money in an…

Hi, my sister passed...

Hi, my sister passed away on 2/11/18 and she has money in an bank account in the amount of 3,500 she resided in Los Angles but died in Houston, Tx. i am her only living sibling what forms do I need to get the funds do I file here or in Los Angles.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Death cerficate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I have her car also

3/19/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's passing. I wish you the best of luck. So, there are a couple of things that you could do. The first and easiest thing you could do is contact the bank and advise them of your sister's death. You should tell them you have a death certificate as well. The bank will tell you their procedures in the event of someone's death, including whether your sister had set up something to have the money transferred to someone else in the event of her death.

The bank may require you to have filed with the probate court to be her personal representative of her estate. This means that you would have to go to the probate court in LA County and ask the court to be the personal representative. If the court agrees that you can be the PR, they will issue you a document allowing you to go and disburse the money int he bank account according to CA law, which usually just goes to the heirs unless your sister had specifically set up a will that allowed the money to go elsewhere.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But she die in Texas does make a difference and what about the car

I see. So, was she residing in TX or was she just visiting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She moved here only here for one week
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She moved here only here foe one week before death.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

I see. So, if all of her other property was in Los Angeles, then you would need to file for probate there; however, you can file for probate in the county where she passed away as well. The TX court will exercise jurisdiction over the assets even if she still had stuff back in California. Regardless, when you apply to be her personal representative, you will include the car, her bank account, and any other real or personal property she had in your petition. Once the court approves you as a personal representative, then the court will allow you to do things like transfer the title of her vehicle into the name of her heirs (which is you if she was unmarried and had no children). The same goes for her other property as well.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for everthing been a great help.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure thing

Thanks so much!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer