My husband and I owned a boat together. in the process of…

My husband and I...

My husband and I owned a boat together. in the process of selling the boat.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

My husband and I owned a boat together and we were trying to sell it. He passed away last December. Recently I found a buyer. Can I sell the boat with my signature alone on the purchase and sales agreement and just bring along my husband's death certificate to the signing?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have drafted a purchase and sales agreement but have not signed anything so far. Also the boat is documented and I have a CG-1270 form. If the buyer and I fill that out will it serve as a legal bill of sale?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If we sign the sales agreement will that suffice to show a transfer of ownersrhip?

3/19/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The answer to your question is yes, you can get the boat sold without your husband's signature; however, it is important that you first get the boat into your name alone. You will need to go to the DMV (or whatever authority provides the title to the boat) and provide them with the death certificate of your husband. You should also bring a transfer of title documentation as well. There, the DMV should transfer it into your name alone. At that point, you'll have the authority to sell the boat without your husband's signature. Practically speaking, you could just sell the boat and have it transferred; however, if the DMV requires that all previous owners sign it over, then you may run into some problems. If the boat is not titled, then you can sell it without your husband's signature.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The boat is not titled, so that means I can sell it with my signature alone, correct? I typed in another question,which apparently did not get to you. It's as follow: Is signing a "Contract for purchase and sales" sufficient to show transferr of ownership in Massachsetts?

Correct. If the boat is not titled, then you can sell it with your signature alone. And yes, signing a contract for purchase and sale is sufficient to show transfer of ownership of personal property in your state.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The boat is documented. If the buyer and I fill out the info on the back of the Documentation certificate CG-1270 is that also good for substituting for a bill of sale?

Let me verify...

Ok, based on info from the US Coast Guard, the answer to your question is yes, this will be adequate. You could use the CG-1270 or the CG-1340.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer