My husband & I own our property jointly, if one of us dies,

My husband & I...

My husband & I own our property jointly, if one of us dies, how does that effect the property?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Moore County North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

What do you mean what steps

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that's it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Can you provide me a bit more information? Are you both on the title as joint tenants with right of survivorship? Or, does the deed just mention both your names as joint tenants, but with no "right of survivorship?"

I'm not sure of the answer to that question, I'll have to find the deed and check.
Could you explain the difference?

Sure....If you are on the title as joint tenants with right of survivorshp, when one joint owner dies, title vests in the surviving owner automatically outside the will and outside of probate. If not, then when one owner dies, then his/her ownership interest in the property transfers under his/her will.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.