Looking for helping with question about a potential prenup…

Looking for helping with...

Looking for helping with question about a potential prenup should I marry my girlfriend who's overstayed a student visa.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Nothing. We have had only mild talks about marriage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the student visa?

No-starting here

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No-thanks!

3/19/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us regarding this?

You do realize that you marrying her would not make her legal in the US and in all likelihood she will be denied a marriage visa based on overstaying?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get my reply? Screen went blank. I'm not sure if my question went to another lawyer after I started again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not know the information that you provided. So, is there anything that we can do, other than date kind of illegally or give up? She's from Switzerland. If we were able to get Mary, my question would be about the validity of a prenup. Neither of us are wealthy, but I have about three times more assets. I am 49, she is 47. Her only source of income is from the Swiss disability system due to a disability and family money. Her family helps her lawn. Could a prenup protect me for certain with my retirement accounts? I really don't afford I can feel to give up anything especially at my age ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant to say that her family helps her along.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there? Somehow another lawyer, a family lawyer, responded with the prenup questions, but didn't know the immigration items, and I should ask an immigration lawyer. If she can't get legal, it makes me wonder if we should really continue if it will just lead in heartache or eventual deportation.

Thank you for your reply. No I did not get your reply.

You need to use the REPLY button here if you would like me to respond. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a submit button, not a reply button.

Okay, your view looks different than the expert's view. Do just what you just did and give me your question so I can answer you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My question now is really is there anything we can do? I'm getting pretty tired of running around with an undocumented girlfriend and I feel it's going to hurt me professionally soon. Her student visa expired one year after she graduated from college in 2007. She also owns her own home here, a gift to her from her parents, a small condo worth about 70 k. If she's deported what happens to the condo?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mean, since you indicated that the marriage would likely not be valid in the US

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry to hear that she overstayed, but the reality is that under the new strict enforcement of the existing immigration laws, she is going to have a huge issue. If she has overstayed more than 6 months she is looking at a minimum of 5-10 years of inadmissibility to the US for a green card or any other type of visa.

If you apply for a K-1 or fiancee visa or ultimately for a K-3 spousal visa, when they see she has overstayed, they will deny her as inadmissible. You can file a waiver of inadmissibility and try to explain good cause for why she overstayed, but quite honestly the majority of those waivers are simply denied without reason.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but right now it looks like unless they change the laws she would be refused a green card.

As far as her ownership of property, she still owns it, she does not lose ownership, but she would need to rent it out or sell it, because they would not allow her back in the US to use it

I know this is a tough situation that you are in and the news under current laws and enforcement is not great for you, but that is what you are facing right now I am sorry to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney