I'm 26, been married for 2 1/5 years. Trying to get

Customer Question
I'm 26, been married...

I'm 26, been married for 2 1/5 years. Trying to get divorced. have been offered a settlement from him for 5k.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Nothing has been filed. I'm trying to see if I should retain a lawyer and my rights to wedding gifts (equitable distribution). We got 15k in cash for gifts and our apt furniture is around 4k. He was the sole money provider and is a gastroenterology fellow making 73k a year. I ended up paying for rent for around 5 months while I had a part time job to relieve some expenses. our rent was 2350 a month. we live in NYC. I really am just trying to see if a lawyer thinks it's worth going through the process of trying to fight for more money/ rather than take his 5k settlement

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Had a consultation but haven

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Haven't retained her and she hasn't gotten back to me on about the idea of taking the settlement OKAY

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

thank you

We can't tell you what to do - but I can tell you that the court will take into account the fact that your spouse has the potential to make a significant amount of money. That being said, they will also take into account that he has a lot of debt and that your marriage was a very, very short term marriage. Essentially they'd look at what you "gave up" for your spouse and whether that entitles you to any money. It's by no means automatic. They'll also look at what you make, what you can make, what your debts are, and things like that to determine whether you're entitled to more. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

what about wedding gifts and cash?

You'd be entitled to half of all assets.

Or rather an "equitable" amount of all assets - which frequently works out to half.