It's been about two weeks since I asked my attorney to

It's been about two...

It's been about two weeks since I asked my attorney to change my will.He charged me $1000.But so far nothing's been done.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I've tried calling him and emailing him but he has not returned my calls or emails

3/19/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

Under the professional rules of conduct an attorney is expected to maintain communication with the client; please see:

Rule 3-500 Communication A member shall keep a client reasonably informed about significant developments relating to the employment or representation, including promptly complying with reasonable requests for information and copies of significant documents when necessary to keep the client so informed. Discussion: Rule 3-500 is not intended to change a member’s duties to his or her clients. It is intended to make clear that, while a client must be informed of significant developments in the matter, a member will not be disciplined for failing to communicate insignificant or irrelevant information. (See Bus. & Prof. Code, § 6068, subd. (m).)

That information is here;

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/documents/ethics/2d_RRC/California-Rules-Professional-Conduct.pdf

Generally if an attorney does not respond one can contact the office manager or the attorney's secretary to find out when the client may expect a call, or a draft of the proposed will.

If that fails one can file a complaint with the state bar and sue in small claims to recover the retainer fee (based on breach of contract).

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Complaints-Claims

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer