My son is a Lt in the Air Force. In his second base

My son is a...

My son is a Lt in the Air Force. In his second base assignment, he changed to a different airframe, although the job title and description as a maintenance officer was the same. Now, after only a few months on the job, he got a bad review, and more recently, a LOC, an MFR, an LOA, and now an action that will remove him from promotion for a year. At the end of the year, he will be close to the end of his current contract, so it all seems like they just want to push him out of the Air Force. He is young and has a wife and two small kids, so the transition and move to the second base has been very hard, and there has been almost zero outreach or support. I am not a military person and do not understand the process he is going through. He has been assigned a JAG defense lawyer, but she does not seem to be very proactive, and it looks like her job is just to check off that the "legal" aspects of the process have been satisfied. I just came home and have seen that an active military officer can have civilian counsel as well as the JAG defense. Can you advise us on what to do? If it will make a difference to his case (he has only another day or so to submit his response to the promotion action), we would like to consult with a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed?

Can you recommend a civilian counsel for a junior officer undergoing a promotion delay action in the NJ area (joint McGuire/Fort Dix)?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have not talked to anyone myself. I am the mom of this young man. I have seen what I think is the full paper trail to which he has access. The area of qualification under question is professional, not mental, physical, or moral.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We would like to see if there are any options for better representation in this process that might result in his promotion delay being reduced from one year to six months (if not downgraded further). If it is his fate to be discharged after his contract ends next year, we want to be sure his interests and rights are protected through the coming year.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has filed rebuttles to the LOC and LOA. What is striking is how each week since the end of February, a new step has been taken. They tell him to change, offer little or no support, and then a few days later, sock it to him again. His statement in response to the promotion action is due Wednesday morning (March 21). He circulated a draft to his assigned defense JAG this morning.
3/19/2018
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I am sorry to hear about your son’s difficulties with the Air Force. Here are the names of some military lawyers who can help your son. Call them immediately. The first two have the most experience in military law issues. One is located in NY and the other TX. The last lawyer is located in NJ.

Thomas Arthur Kenniff tel(###) ###-#### https://www.avvo.com/attorneys/10013-ny-thomas-kenniff-973962/website.html

Joseph L. Jordan tel(###) ###-#### http://www.jordanucmjlaw.com/

Michael L Detzky tel(###) ###-#### http://www.detzkylaw.com/

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Edward Young
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dear *****,Thank you for the counsel recommendations. However, there is the general questions still of whether an outside legal counsel can make a difference in this type of process. As an expert in this area, what is your opinion on that, and are you aware of how an outside counsel might work?Jane

You can and should use civilian counsel. See the attached link for more details. Particularly read the paragraph entitled “Workload”:

http://www.militaryadvocacy.com/frequently-asked-questions-about-military-law/why-hire-civilian-counsel.html

Thank you so much for the 4-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-visaspecialist/ Or, simply request “Edward only” in the first line of your question.

Edward Young
Edward Young
Edward Young