SunTrust Bank closed my account shortly after it was opened…

SunTrust Bank closed my...

SunTrust Bank closed my account shortly after it was opened based upon their "Rules & REgulations" Despite repeated attempts to find out why they made that decision no further information was given. I have since found out that they obtained a credit report from Eauifax and another report from Been Verified. I had a Chapter 7 bankruptcy 4 years ago and a closed account (with no negative information associated). Clearly they used these reports to make their decision but did not tell me about it. What recourse do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I sent them two separate letters asking why they made the decision and received two responses telling me they have the right to close any account for any reason and it was a business decision based on their rules and regulations........

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all

To clarify, there is more information on my credit report than just the bankruptcy and I have a 710 credit score. The closed account was a Chase bank account reported by Been Verified. I closed that account and the information reported was that the account was closed, but no negative information was associated with the account.
3/19/2018
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, because banks are private companies, there would not be any legal recourse in a similar situation, as private banks are permitted to open and close bank accounts at their own sole discretion and also permitted to obtain credit and financial reports related to the bank's customers (as long as such reports do not create hard inquiry on the credit report) without customers' permission and unless the customer has clear evidence that the account is closed based on some type of illegal discrimination, such as based on race, religion, ethnicity, etc...there would generally not be any legal recourse.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and good luck!

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law