I have an associate that I have had some conversation with…

Customer Question
I have an associate...

I have an associate that I have had some conversation with regarding the benefits of his guys providing web hosting services on a server which they proposed I purchase. No written nor verbal contract for hours to set said server up. I bought the recommended server and nothing works. But, I have received and invoice for services for about $51K. The manufacturer of the server says "minute" to set up. So, my question is do I have a legal precedence to site for the bogus and fraudulent billing? Secondly, since he sent the bogus invoice through the mail can I allege mail fraud?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. No response to the invoice.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not yet.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/19/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 1 month ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
The invoice may be contested on basis that that there was no agreement on price and that absent agreement the price far exceeds the value of the work. While it is not a fraud claim it may be rejected for lack of agreement and lack of value.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Playing chess and looking ahead, it is my fear that this company will report my company as "delinquent" and therefore affect our corporate credit scores. As a preemptive measure I was looking to allege that the invoice was a fraudulent demand for payment and that since they used certified mail to deliver said fraudulent demand that I could scare off any future attempts by this company to extort money from me. Do I have a leg to stand on with that strategy and if so what are the legal precedence I can site?
Not fraudulent but you may contest it as without basis as there is no contract or other agreement supporting the claim. You may warn that frivolous attempt to collect will be vigorously pursued with grievance to the attorney general, BBB and court. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Playing chess and looking ahead, it is my fear that this company will report my company as "delinquent" and therefore affect our corporate credit scores. As a preemptive measure I was looking to allege that the invoice was a fraudulent demand for payment and that since they used certified mail to deliver said fraudulent demand that I could scare off any future attempts by this company to extort money from me. Do I have a leg to stand on with that strategy and if so what are the legal precedence I can site? Is it not illegal to send someone an invoice for work they did not do? And, if so do I have any aggressive stance or language to use in sabre rattling to preempt such garbage ?
Sure, on basis that he is seeking to intentionally collect funds not owing and is seeking to mislead.You may demand he Cease and desist and violating the fair debt collection act.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Tina, Lawyer