Police stop for failure to use turcenter lanen signal and…

Police stop for failure...

Police stop for failure to use turcenter lanen signal and illegally crossing police said he smelled pot and searced the car he ask if I had any thing illegal in the car I told him I had 3/4 once of pot and were it was located

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Arrested booked and finger pRINTED in opelika al jail then released arrested by auburn city police court date 4/24

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AL lawyer about this yet?

No thinking first offense represent myself and plea guily

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Retired with ssdisability and $2k per month state al retirement july 2014

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your question about this situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do i need a lawyer for first offense plan on representing myself and pleaing guily of traffic violations and possessio n
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i am 60 yrs old and have a history of spinal stenois triple bypass and suffered a stroke last feb receive home healh care occupational theropy for fall on my right shoulder stoke affected left side need walker to move around

The second you plead guilty to this offense you will have a criminal conviction on your record and you'll be leaving your sentence entirely up to the judge because you won't be able to bargain. Any amount of marijuana can get you up to a year in jail. Your driver's license will also be suspended for 6 months.

Is any of that what you want to risk? If not, you should go in with a lawyer and see what he can do to keep this off your record and, if he can't do that, to make the sentence something you'll be happy with. THEN it would be safe to plead guilty.

If money is a problem and you're on a fixed income, plead NOT guilty to keep your rights open and ask the judge to appoint you a free lawyer. The lawyer will be there on the next date and work out a deal for you.

ALL criminal defendants under US law start off innocent until proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. So first pleading not guilty is not a lie to the court. It's what you are under US law. Once you've got your deal worked out, that's when you change your plea to guilty if you want that deal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
seems like talking to a lawyer before court would be a better option than a public defender

A public defender is a fully-credentialed lawyer. They graduate from all the same colleges, including the very best ones, get into the same law schools, take the same courses and pass the same bar exams. They just want to work in the non-profit sector doing nothing but criminal law cases. Like private lawyers, some of them are excellent, some awful, some good, some fair and most average.

Public defenders have very heavy caseloads, but they are criminal law specialists. They will know how to handle a marijuana misdemeanor if you can't afford a private attorney. If you CAN afford private counsel, however, hiring a private lawyer is exactly what you should do.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
zoey thanks for the advise I wiill consult an attorney before court date

Glad to hear it.

There is a reason that our Constitution gives us a fundamental right to a lawyer when charged with a crime. Criminal cases can have lifetime repercussions.

I wish you good luck with this case!

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney