Can a Colorado landloard require a tenant to provide a copy…

Can a Colorado landloard...

Can a Colorado landloard require a tenant to provide a copy of there vehicle registration for the landloard said records.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They want to issue a number for each vehicle so they can tell what cars belong here. I don't have a problem showing them my registration,but I don't think they have the right to copy my information and keep a record of. I thought there was a Drivers right to privacy law in Colorado.

3/18/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Thanks for your patience. So, on one hand, a CO landlord can collect this information to for their own purposes to ensure that people who are on the property actually belong there. The driver's privacy situation you mentioned applies to public actors; not private actors like your landlord. Specifically, Colorado State law and the Federal Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) state that the Department of Motor Vehicles shall not disclose or otherwise make available to any person or entity personal information about any individual obtained by the department in connection with a motor vehicle. For example, The CO DMV keeps a record of certain information, and may provide it if they are summoned by a court; however, they are legally not allowed to share that info. Your landlord shouldn't be sharing that info, but he's/she's allowed to collect and store it.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Thank You, ***** ***** I wanted to hear but law is the law. Can I give a redacted copy of my registration?

You're welcome. I think that redacting a copy is fair. So long as they can identify the owner of the vehicle and the vehicle is identified in the registration paperwork, then that should be sufficient.

'

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Ok Thank You

You bet!