How is the value of a co-life tenancy figured? I am in

How is the value...

How is the value of a co-life tenancy figured? I am in divorce proceedings and I am co-life tenant with my husband.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I engaged someone as an expert witness but I don't think he knows the legal aspect. He computed the value based on rental income but he fractured 43% to go to the remainder man. My understanding is they have no rights to the property or income derived from it until all life tenants are deceased.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

3/19/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I will wait - I need an answer.
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

I just want to clarify that you are referring to a life estate.

the verbiage is co-life tenancy referring to me and my husband who has filed for divorce.

I see what you are saying that the life tenant and the remainderman's interests will be different. The way this is generally calculated is based on the remainderman's value. You want the actual value of the life estate. I am going to check case law for the formula, if there is a specific formula.

All I am seeing is 50% of the total value. That is not a helpful answer because that is obvious. Let me dig a little deeper.

Ok- in this case the remainder man will inherit, after we are both gone, a house worth over 400,000. Seems like enough to me. House is only worth approx 313,000 now. It can be rented for minimum of 1,400 a month now and my understanding is that the remainder man has no entitlement to the rental income - I’m 62 so that equates to quite a bit of money.

" House is only worth approx 313,000 now. It can be rented for minimum of 1,400 a month now and my understanding is that the remainder man has no entitlement to the rental income - I’m 62 so that equates to quite a bit of money."

You are 100% correct. The rental income is the key. The issue is actual length of time of the life estate. https://www.cumsar.com.au/our-services/life-interest-valuation.html

"Appraisers only rarely run into requests to appraise life estates, they are not typical and you can’t just put a quick blurb into your report and solve their valuation. Thus life estate interest analyses usually require a narrative report or at least an attached narrative report addenda that details the life estate analysis.

If you have read any of the text books or other articles about appraising a life estate in a real property it looks like a relatively simple step-by-step process that almost anyone can follow and complete. The problem is that appraising a life estate can become a lot more complicated once you discover more about it.

A life estate interest can be established in any type of property. Often life estates are conveyed in single-family homes to take care of someone that the original fee simple owner doesn’t want to see homeless or is concerned that without the protection of the life estate they may have to struggle with housing to survive.

Some life estates are conveyed when only a portion of a real property is owned. It may have made sense to convey a life estate when a Will was written many years ago but time often sees changes in ownership interests. So a simple life estate may become a relatively complex partial ownership interest analysis with multiple fee owners, multiple life estate owners and multiple remainder-men.

Some life estate documents are detailed and spell out who is responsible for taxes, insurance and maintenance while others are sparse, creating the life estate in only a few words, and do not provide detail. The more assumptions that an appraiser has to make about a life estate the more likely it will be that his or her analysis will be questioned by the IRS or the courts. Thus it is important to read the conveyance documents closely and if you have access to the estate attorneys talk to them about the details. You can’t appraise an interest in real property if you don’t understand it.

Life estate appraisals rely on a market value opinion of the fee estate interest in the real property, an opinion of the market rental rate and the selection of a reasonable discount rate for a discounted cash flow analysis. So having an appraisal report that concludes a current market value and a market rental rate is an important starting point.

If the assignment begins as of a retrospective date you must deal with all of the analyses beginning in the past and moving forward. If there are requirements to provide retrospective, current and prospective values there may be a great deal of appraisal work required to complete the assignment.

Using an appropriate mortality table is important, and the table that you use as a basis for your appraisal report should be made part of it. Add the table to your Addenda.
Life estate appraisal sources also suggest including the Will or document that established the life estate also be included in the report. I would go a step further and suggest appraisers include their appreciation tables, expense estimates and discounted cash flow analysis tables in their reports." http://www.appraisalarticles.com/Real-Property-Appraisal/Real-Property-Appraisal/Special-Purpose-Appraisal//4526-Appraising-Life-Estates.html

Estimate the fee simple market value of the property

Estimate the term of the life estate.

Calculate the rental income on the mortality tables. https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/actuarial-tables

There are so many ways to look at it. For me it was my security for life. Free place to stay with excellent rental income. I am 62 with a life expectancy of plus/minus 86 and a supposed expert calculated it was only worth $80,000 - preposterous in my opinion?

There is no question that you are correct that the remainderman's interest is not the proper valuation. Feel free to share the information that I provided.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Are you still online with me? The Attorneys do not receive credit for our work if the customer does not rate our service positively. Thank you for your consideration.

I appreciate very much your responses - I will touch base tonight when I get home and rate your services. Also I have additional questions.

Thank you for using JA. We appreciate your business,

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Thank you.
It is a complicated situation apparently. We have lived on the property know as*****for 12 years. There is a house and a garage that has been made into an apartment. We have alternately lived in the house or garage and rented out the other for income. The co-life tenancy is for his residence. I am being told this does not include the garage as we are currently renting it out for income so the valuation only includes the house rental value. I personally believe this is preposterous.