I've been in my apartment 5 years now, May 10th my lease…

Hi, I've been in...

Hi, I've been in my apartment 5 years now, May 10th my lease expires and I received a notice that I am evicted, but the notice doesn't say why, they did however call me the day before they issued the eviction notice and said that my unit is up for renovation and they will not be renewing my lease. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oh yes, Pleasanton, CA

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Not one no, never and never late for one payment and the notice give no reason at all. just a phone call saying due to renovations....

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all thank you

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This to me sounds like the landlord is not renewing the lease and not actually engaging in an eviction. An eviction occurs when someone is actively renting property and their agreement is being terminated before its conclusion. A non-renewal is where a party has a valid lease, but they are being notified that the lease is not being renewed for another term. So long as the landlord a) gives a tenant who has been on the property at least 12 months 60 days notice of the non-renewal and b) so long as the non-renewal is not for a discriminatory reason such as the tenant's race or gender, then the non-renewal is legal. This is the case even if your payments are on time and if you were the model tenant. In your case, if the landlord doesn't want anyone else on the property, and they provided appropriate notice, then it is legal. I'm very sorry.

I see ok thanks.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer