I get ssi, and I own a car that is a 1990 model buick

I get ssi, and...

I get ssi, and I own a car that is a 1990 model buick lesabre limited. It does not run it would cost more to fix it than it is worth. I might get $1000 if I sold it. I want to know if I buy another car can it affect my ssi benifits with me having the inoperable one?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None, I drive my mom's car becausde mine won't run. She has to buy another car which she wants to sell to me since she is 90 so I will have a dependable car when she's not around.

3/18/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Getting a car that runs would not impact your SSI benefits, since you are entitled to have a working car to get around. Owning only ONE car does not count against you, but owning multiple cars does for SSI purposes. So you can get a new car to replace what you have and that will not impair your benefits.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

ok, so if I bought the car from my mom, what would I do with the old one that doesn't run?

Thank you for your reply.

You can sell the old one to use the money to pay your mom for the car that runs.