I need to know if I can donate my house to charity without…

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know if I can donate my house to charity without any legal problems from the tenants who have not paid any rent for about a year

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are the tenants in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have the tenants taken so far?

None

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
3/18/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have a valid lease then your having a tenant would not impair your ability to donate your house to charity. The thing is that the charity would have to take the house with the tenants and would have to evict them for non-payment or would need to honor their lease if they had been paying.

So, you can donate the house, although most charities will not want it if you have deadbeat tenants because then the charity has to spend its money removing the tenants.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.