Someone borrowed money from me and is not paying it back,

Someone borrowed money from...

Someone borrowed money from me and is not paying it back, they were helping with me duties around the house that I was unable to do, Do I have any legal recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just asking them to either work it off or start a payment plan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/18/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks

Good afternoon. Absolutely, you have recourse. If he won't pay you voluntarily, file suit against him. Filing the suit will give you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if he doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on him for a debtor examination. That forces him to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about his assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property he owns to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney
Phone call session started

Thank you so much for the bonus! I appreciate both your kindness and your generosity!

Richard, Attorney