The building I live in is unsafe and is currently on the…

Customer Question
Hi. The building I...

Hi. The building I live in is unsafe and is currently on the Alternative Enforcement program for the number of open violations. Can I legally break my lease? My landlord also owes us money for items we have had to repair ourselves because they will sometimes not answer the phones for days.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York City

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The only think I can do is call 311 to report issues other than that no steps have been taken But I have had to call 911 a couple of times

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
3/18/2018
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Michael Bradley

assuming you have a lease the key is habitability

if the property is not habitable then you can terminate the lease