I'm renting a house in Putney, London and been living here…

I'm renting a house in...
I'm renting a house in Putney, London and been living here for the last year 18 months. I've been considering a good tenant by the Landlord. In the last 3 months too many things started to happen, the boiler broke, then the tank too. After been exchanging loads of emails between us he decide to replace them.
Then also some problems with one of the sides walls was completely dumped and cause some problems in the cupboards and some of my stuff that was inside. He did then call some builders and it was repaired in couple of days.
A couple of weeks a ago a good part of the ceiling from the kitchen came down, Then the builders realised there was a problem in the bathroom. Since almost two weeks, the house is a mess, I have to move almost everything away from the kitchen and bathroom. The house is full of dust everywhere. The house is a 1920's in a such lovely area, worth to stay for the price. It's 20 minutes walking distance from the tube. It needs big reforms in the near future.Am I allow to ask for a reduction on the rent for the time the builders are here?
3/18/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - The answer to your question is yes, you are allowed to ask for a reduction in rent for the time that the builders were present. The rent reduction would be do to the landlords violation of the habitability duty that the landlord owes you as a tenant.

I hope that answered your question - can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI DAN,
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE AGAIN. THE LANDLORD KEEP INSISTING HI IS NOT GOING TO REDUCE THE RENT FOR THE DAYS THE BUILDERS ARE IN THE HOUSE."The landlord keeps insisting, he can’t really think of anything to add to his previous messages:
He thinks we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this. He is really sorry about the disruption and he knows that it must be even more annoying for me than it is for him.....after years and years of letting the house without problems, he thinks everything seems to have gone wrong in one go. The fact is that it is an old house. He said that’s obviously reflected in the rental (???) He thinks it is a lovely place but, with an old house, problems are bound to occur.
They are very annoying for me, I’m sure, and very expensive for me, he kept saying.
He thinks it would be very sad to lose me as a tenant, but he thinks if I feel I would rather give notice and move to somewhere more modern, and where hopefully fewer problems would occur, he would entirely understand.
He also said, I think that the condition of the house- including the likelihood of problems occurring- is reflected in the rent (????)
He hopes all is on track for the builders to finish everything tomorrow or wednesday. (2 weeks in total on wednesday)
He kept apologising....."WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST ME TO TELL HIM SO HE RECOGNISES FOR ONCE?MANY THANKS AGAIN

You need to tell him that he has a duty of habitability to his tenants and having builders at the unit does not allow a tenant to be able to live in the unit unobstructed. He has a legal right to allow you to live there without builders. So legally you are allowed to deduct rent for the time the builders were violating that right.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dan, thanks for your prompt reply.Well, he seems denying the situation. I told him I’m allowed to ask for a reduction in rent for the time the builders were present”.THE LANDLORD REPLIED:
"I do not know why you think this. As with any house, problems can occur. I have acted promptly to resolve them. There is certainly nothing in our Tenancy Agreement which suggests a reduction is due. Nor, so far as I am aware, is there anything under statute. I think most people recognise that problems will, regrettably, occur and a landlord’s duty is to resolve them. That is what I have done".ME: From my point of view, It depends on the legal definition of "habitability" and if the current works are considered extreme enough to not be able to use your house in the usual way - it's probably a slightly grey area as strictly speaking I haven't been able to, but he counts that only the bath has been out of action in the bathroom and the kitchen has been "usable" for most of the time.Only a lawyer could advise further at this point.I think he will dig his heels in and not pay - the easy thing for him to have done would have been to offer some £££ off, but he's chosen so far not to do this so I can't imagine he will change his mind without a lot of legal pressure - this might end up costing me too???
So depends on how far I want to take this??? And if I do genuinely want to move out if things are not agreed???See attached pictures today from the kitchen (tomorrow will be 2 weeks)Best regards.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI DAN,I HAVE AN OTHER REPLY FROM THE LANDLORD AFTER SEND THE LAST EMAIL:Dear *****,"I’m relieved to read that you don’t consider there is a breakdown in our relationship. But we clearly still have a difference of opinion and I think I begin to see why. Because I’m afraid that the advice you have received is simply incorrect.Although I was a lawyer before I retired, I was certainly no expert in residential property lettings. But some simple Googling makes the position pretty clear.“You don't have the right to withhold rent because of your landlord's failure to do repairs. If you withhold rent your landlord may start possession proceedings against you and put you at risk of eviction.” (Citizens Advice Bureau)“You aren't entitled to stop paying rent just because your landlord won't carry out repairs. If your landlord's refusing to carry out essential repairs, it's important that you write to the landlord first, explaining what repairs need to be done and the impact that the problem is having on your ability to manage in the property. Ask the landlord to respond by a certain date and let you know what work will be done to sort out the problem.” (housingadviceni)“A landlord must make repairs to the interior and exterior structure and make any installations when required to do so. If the landlord fails to make the repairs within a ‘reasonable’ time after the tenant has reported them, then the landlord could be in breach of their repairing obligations.” (mydeposits.co.uk)“Chris Norris, head of policy at the National Landlords Association, said: ‘Assuming that the tenants in questions are subject to a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy (England and Wales) then they do not have a right to withhold rent in response to needed maintenance or disrepair.” (thisismoney)There are loads of other examples which you can easily find for yourself. And these, understandably, are generally where repairs are needed and the landlord fails to carry them out.I want to be, and believe I always have been, a good landlord. But I do not want to be taken for a mug! I don’t suppose we will ever agree on this, and I know I am repeating myself, but renting an old house inevitably means that problems will arise. That is reflected, along with many other factors, in the rent payable.I honestly don’t think there is anything that I can usefully add. I know that you have been inconvenienced, and I am sorry about that. I have done everything I can to sort out the problems as quickly as possible.And I really, really, really hope that no more arise…
M.DAN,
IT'S VERY INTERESTING BECAUSE THE LANDLORD IS WORRIED ABOUT ME NOT PAYING THE RENT OR WITHHOLD RENT, WHEN I NEVER MENTIONED THIS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE IS TRYING TO SAY BY SAYING THIS.WE HAVE TO AGREE FIRST AND WE ARE IN THIS PROCESS.THERE'LL ALSO CLEANING FEES, EVERYTHING IS SIMPLY A MESS, FULL OF DUST AND THIS NEED TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

I will need you to open a new thread if you want me to continue to answer and review documents. Thank you - you can request me personally as a "favorite expert"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dan, I will now send you the last two messages.Many thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dan, I'm trying to request you again but, once posted, it appears this message:We're sorry. An unexpected error has occurred.

There seems to be an issue with the site this morning - I am having similar problems

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm going to post my last two questions in one later on then. Please kindly, try to follow up as I don't want to start again since the beginning. Thx

please send them directly to me and I will be able to answer and you won't have to start all over - thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Impossible!!! I tried 5 times and appears the same message. I called them and it seems working fine the service.I tshows that you are online, I press the option "request me again" and it says "question to Dan41 legal" again but the same problem....so annoying...

My service is working again - hopefully you can request me now

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry to tell, the issue persists. I've contacted them again, same story.I've posted again the question on the site under the same title: "I'm renting a house in Putney, London..."Kindly have a look if you find it: OrderID: 18657361-507Otherwise I'll try again later....Many thanks
DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer