Is it legal for a boss to pay in Florida under the minimum…

Hi, is it legal...

Hi, is it legal for a boss to pay in Florida under the minimum wage/ hr when working straight 24 hrs in caregiving. In the contract my girlfriend got paid originally $14.00/ hr and boss was to keep 40% of that pay by the client’s daughter- caregiving job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

She called a lawyer in Pensacola, FL who she says was not interested in the case

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Her boss from the caregiving agency says she will only charge the clients daughter $100.00/ 24hr of which the boss will keep 40%. My girlfriend had not discussed pay concerning this till after many mo. I don’t k ow why she let it go so long.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The job involves complete care to a 96 yr old lady. She’s taken care of her for over 5 yrs but the first 4 yrs it was simply 4 hrs a day.

3/18/2018
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Usually, the law states that the caregiver when working 24 hours gets the pay hourly except for 8 hours of "sleeping time." Also, the caregiver must be paid overtime for all hours worked over 40 in the 7-day work week, excluding sleeping time.

The boss talking about keeping 40% of the pay does not seem right. Possibly, that could mathematically work out but it is unclear.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will forward your reply to my girlfriend and have her contact you if she needs more i formation.Thank you so much!
Neomi
Will rate you tops!!!����

You are very welcome.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney