Does enrolling in an online high school prevent truancy in…

Does enrolling in an...

Does enrolling in an online high school prevent truancy in Illinois?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an IL lawyer about this?

Nope

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well, we are in a dispute with the school district that is health related. It is going to an ocr investigation and probably hearing

3/18/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - when you say prevent truancy - do you mean can you not get in trouble for being late or missing actual class?

I mean that the student is out with a doctors note while we are fighting with the school district. The matter is going to go to an office of civil rights investigation initiated by us. They threaten to make him truant in the meantime, which can cause us to be charged for truancy in Illinois.

Okay - thank you for the information. While he is sick if he begins to take online high school classes that will show the judge that he is trying. Also, generally speaking truancy only comes into play if there is not a reason why a student is missing school. If there is a medical reason - verified by a doctor - the judge will not hold that against the student. Also, truancy, in Illinois is a charge that has no repercussions other than having to go to court. It is one of the lowest court actions in the statute. Do not let the school bully you with that threat.

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer