Can a man threaten to sue me for breach of promise after…

Customer Question
Good morning. can a...

Good morning. can a man threaten to sue me for breach of promise after three dates. And him saying I asked him to marry me after the first date and saying that I/O him money for taking Uber to drop me off? Do you think he’s calling a lawyer to sue me for breach of promise. Can he do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing. I met him three times. Nothing. I met him three times.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
3/18/2018
Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. It is true that Georgia - about a 100 years or more - recognized a claim for breach of promise to marry. That type of action, however, requires an express agreement to marry and has only been raised by persons who were in long-term, serious relationships. Though anyone can file suit for anything in a court; it is highly unlikely any claim for breach of promise to marry by someone you only met 3 times would pose any real chance in court. Moreover, the Uber ride claim is not something about which you should worry. So, he certainly can threaten to sue you and he could actually sue you, but his chances of success are slim to none. This sounds like an incredibly frustrating situation and I am sorry you are having to deal with it. With any luck, this person will stop bothering you soon. If he does continue to make these threats, to the extent you can, you may consider simply ignoring him. The other option would be responding that if he does not stop contacting you, you will have to take legal action against him.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is ​for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.