I hired a contractor to repair my home after a tree fell…

I hired a contractor...

I hired a contractor to repair my home after a tree fell through it. The workmanship, to say the least was shoddy. He's been paid most of the money. I need him to come back and fix what he and his help have done. He hasn't responded to any of my messages. I live in Texas. What can I do? I'm not concerned with being nice about it. I can explain why, if need be, later.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Only to try and contact him. I have also taken pictures and video

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have found out that he has paid out a finders fee.

3/18/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your civil litigation question this evening. I'm attorney Bill following up on your request.

If the contractor is refusing to finish the work as agreed or to complete the work that was unprofessionally finished you can consider employing another company to finish the job and sue the original contractor for the difference.

Depending on your cost is correcting the work you can file a claim in the small claims division of the justice court for any amount due up to $10,000 or in the District Ct for amounts greater than this.

You could start this action now by sending the contractor a civil demand letter.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return your positive rating is what gives me a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What exactly is a civil demand letter and how do I go about it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No on the call

The letter sets out in writing a claim you have against the contractor for unfinished work and that an intent for you to sue for this amount if not paid.

Some small claims courts require you have sent the defendant this civil demand before filing a claim.

your positive rating is what gives me a credit for my time.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I have an attorney do this?

There is no requirement for this and small claims are filed without an attorney.

If you wish to hire an attorney you will be filing on the district court.

The State Bar offers a lawyer referral service if you aren't working with a lawyer.

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Find_A_Lawyer&Template=/CustomSource/MemberDirectory/Search_Form_Client_Main.cfm

I see you have yet to leave a positive rating.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer