AZ. AZ is a community property state. I would like to

Customer Question
AZ is a community...

AZ is a community property state. I would like to purchase a home for a my niece by marriage however, I would like the home to be owned only by her. Is she able to own a home without it becoming community property, i.e. NAME, a married woman - her own personal property?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I'm just inquiring. If you are unable to answer, just let me know and I will continue my research. Thanks,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I live in WA State and the process I'm describing is approved even though we are also a community property state. If I am unable to purchase a home for my niece by marriage and put it totally in her name without my nephew, I'll go another route. I appreciate your answer to my question.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/18/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

,

Is she able to own a home without it becoming community property, i.e. NAME, a married woman - her own personal property?

.

Sure, there are two exceptions to community property rules... gifts and inheritances... So if you gift a house to your niece, it is her separate property, not a marital asset, as long as she doesn't add her spouse's name to the deed.

.

So as long as you title the deed solely in her name, it remains her separate property indefinitely unless she were to take the affirmative action of having a new deed drafted to add her spouse.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much