My grandson is going to be arrested probably by March 19 -

Customer Question
My grandson is going...

My grandson is going to be arrested probably by March 19 - what is the procedure to get a court appointed defense lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: What was your grandson charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?

Yes a family court date on March 19 at 3 pm.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Michigan - abuse and neglect of a minor

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a charge for this

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Criminal Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

My grandson should be talking to the lawyer - is there a phone number he can call so he can speak directly to a lawyer.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/18/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Public defense lawyers must be appointed by the judge. So when your grandson goes to court for his first court date, and his charges are read out into the record and he's asked how he pleads, he should plead not guilty to keep his rights open. Then he can simply tell the judge that he is poor and lacks the funds to hire his own lawyer. He would then ask the judge to appoint him a free one. The judge will generally do so and adjourn the case for a new date. Your grandson's lawyer will appear on that court date and take it from there.

I no longer need your service - I need a lawyer that could actually be in the court.