I have an ex that is currently in jail. He gave me a 2003…

I have an ex...

I have an ex that is currently in jail. He gave me a 2003 Blazer but never put my name on the title. I let my son drive it and he was pulled over for a taillight being out. It wasn

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

'In the state of KS. It wasn't insured at the time he was pulled over, so he had to go to court show his driver's license and proof of insurance. I was able to get it insured and didn't realize I needed to include him as a driver on the vehicle too. He is 19 went to court & now they suspended his drivers license and $350 fine that has to be paid before his next court date which is next month. How do I get my son on the insurance when my ex is incarcerated and I need to have the title signed over to me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Well I saw my ex for the first time today. He is willing to sign over the title, but we found out he has a title loan on it. I know that I will be responsible for the title loan as well, when my name is ***** ***** do I need to notify order for him to sign the title over to me? He is in Wyandotte County jail waiting to be extradited to Clinton County, Missouri.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time. Just concerned about my son and getting him insured and not fined any further.

3/17/2018
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Why do you not simply take the title to your ex and have him sign it? I understand he is in prison...but you can visit him....

The title has a lien against it, and we don't have it. He took out the loan @ Title Max.

You would need to pay off the lien, then have him transfer title before you can change title.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can get this car in your name sone other way, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Attorney
Phone call session started