I own my home and recently had a roommate move in. We have a…

Customer Question
I own my home...

I own my home and recently had a roommate move in. We have a 6 months lease but in the 3 weeks she has live here, her cat has cause damage, which cause me to remove the cat from the premises. However, she refuses to follow the rules of the house and has continues to cause damage. How can i evict her.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have made her remove her cat per the stipulations of the 6 months lease, which she has done. But the lease stipulates that she will repair the damage within a reasonable amount of time. The lease also stipulates that she will maintain the premises in a sanitary and clean state at all times. I am retired and am a day person, she is much younger (20) and works waitresing jobs and doesn't go to sleep until 6am so sleeps much of the day, so its hard to have a one on one conversation, leading to much text messaging. She continues to damage the home and doesn't admit responsibility for any of her damage, whether the cat or herself. I just want her out and have texted and told her so. She refuses to leave.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am ready to pay for a dispossory but I might need further advice. I can do a disspossory on line in my county.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You must give her a written 30 day notice to correct the problems or leave, which is the notice to her to cease destroying the property or be evicted. If she fails to do so and fails to leave, then you can go to court and you would file civil suit for eviction and serve her the suit and summons for eviction. In addition to suing for eviction, you can also sue in small claims court for the value of the damage she caused to your property.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.