I married an airman in illinois in 2013 and moved with him…

Customer Question
I married an airman...

I married an airman in illinois in 2013 and moved with him to germany. he was already residing in germany so his AF orders did not have me included. i had a command sponsorship but no orders. orders were supposed to be ammended to include my son and myself but it did not happen. we divorced in 2017 and i stayed in germany with a job as a dod nurse which I qualified for supposedly under the command sponsorship. now my employers are saying ive been hired illegally because i had no orders. what do i do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

You need to read the note. It’s complicated

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

We are divorced. I’m in Germany he is in Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

It's very hard for us to answer a question like "what do I do?" and provide you with helpful information. I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

I believe the issue has been clearly stated. But I will ask a different question. Am I working illegally in a foreign country since I have no orders to support me? If you are familiar with military laws, could the orders be amended retroactively since the fact remains we were married at the time of employment. I’m sure I will need to contact a military lawyer. Just thought you were the easiest first step.

I am familiar with military laws...so are they telling you that you do not qualify for SOFA?

I'm not sure hiring a lawyer is going to help you here...that is, I am not sure you have an issue that paying a lawyer will help with...