Can a judge prevent me from leaving the state for work while…

Customer Question
Can a judge prevent...

Can a judge prevent me from leaving the state for work while on bail?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None actually...just a job interview where it’s been indicated that I may be asked to travel out of state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just that for now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Ok,also I’m on pretrial services,but I’m sure the judge will make the final decision so I didn’t ask prettial agent

Yes, the judge can. But if you are not on probation or parole and there is presently no court order telling you not to leave the state and if there's no agreement with the bondsman that you remain in the state, there's no reason you can't travel. You just have to be back by your court date or a warrant will issue for your arrest and you will forfeit bail.

If there is a stipulation by either the court or the bondsman that you remain locally, you will need formal permission from the court or the bondsman to travel. If it's absolutely necessary for the job, generally it would be granted. The state would prefer you to be gainfully employed.

But does the court have the power to stop you? Yes, and if you defy the court order, your bail could be revoked.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.