I am volunteering for a non-profit Cat Rescue. A person

I am volunteering for...

I am volunteering for a non-profit Cat Rescue. A person working for this rescue was sexually harassing me, and then when I confronted him, he accessed and advertised protected medical information about me. It was part of an expunged criminal charge that not even I have been able to access! I am certain that his girlfriend, who works for an insurance company, perpetrated a HIPAA violation. How can I prove it? Is there not a digital record of this violation?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Delaware

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None, I want to research how to prove they did this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure...

3/17/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, there is a digital record of who accesses personal health information and records in medical systems. Also, you need to know that under HIPAA there is no personal right to sue, you must file the complaint with the US Department of Health and Human Services, they are the only agency with the enforcement power under HIPAA.

Your suit would be for breach of the duty of confidentiality against the girlfriend. You would prove the access of the records by subpoena to the insurer for their HIPAA electronic access logs, which they have to keep by law.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.