I don’t even know where to start besides I am confident the…

Customer Question
I don’t even know...

I don’t even know where to start besides I am confident the er vet that treated our dog did something negligent wise which ended up killing our dog

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

She just passed at 3:20 this morning. I have gotten the records from the vet and I transported her myself 2.5 hours to U of Illinois vet for a forensic autopsy

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The vet has lied and changed his story on what happened She was 5 didn’t deserve it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Before you can do anything you need to get the autopsy report and the medical records examined by the autopsy vet.

That autopsy vet has to make the determination the vet did something below the reasonable standard of care and only once they do so can you sue. Unlike a regular medical malpractice case, a veterinary malpractice case is limited in damages and all you can sue for is the cost of any care and cost of the autopsy and the cost of the dog. You cannot get any emotional distress or pain and suffering damages because at law a dog is considered property, just like your car.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Ok. If he was neglibible we can pursue

Thank you for your reply.

If he was negligent you can sue for the cost of the care, cost of the autopsy and value of the dog.