I have a question regarding Romance scamming regarding my…

I have a question...

I have a question regarding Romance scamming regarding my brother

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in VA, my brother in in MD The scammer is in KY

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just hired a PI for a week to get a background of the person.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My brother is in denial and is shelling 800.00 mo to someone he has not met in 10 yeatrs. My bother obviously is missing a few screws, and is becoming financially in danger

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Do you know that the scammer is really in Kentucky? What's your question about this?

According to profile, scammer is in Ky, ex husband?? is in FLA. My brother sends 700 - $800.00 giftcards to this girl at a KY address

Just curious about that since many scammers are in another country no matter where and who they say they are. And if he's sending the money in the form of gift cards, she has not given him real information about who and where she is.

How old is your brother and what's been tried so far. Do you have photos of her or anything you can give me that might allow for me to find something concrete to expose her with, or are you just wondering what more you can do?

My other brother and sister are trying to help but my brother who is doing this fails to heed advice and is continually sending his hard earned money and now is facing close to 50 K in credit card debts! Not sure we can do anything but send a carefully worded letter and stating that we will get the FBI involved
First before I call can you help with this or since my brother is unwilling our hands are tied?

There is nothing specific that I can do, but there is more that you may be able to do. Give me a few minutes to type this.

ok

It's very tough when someone you love is in deep denial about something you know is a fraud. Keep pointing out similar frauds and fraud warnings. Photos can sometimes be traced to scam reports as can some documents or love letters. That's why I asked you if you had photos. Maybe if he saw her on a list of scammers it would help. If you can upload any photos of her use the +Add files tab to do so and I'll see if I can find them.

Apart from there, yes, you can report her to the police in her jurisdiction and to the FBI.

But you can also involve Adult Protective Services. There are victims services counselors who are trained to work with vulnerable adults in situations where counseling can help and APS may have them or know of them.

Ultimately, someone in the family can get a lawyer and take power of attorney over his finances. That's a very harsh remedy, but it's sometimes quite necessary to keep someone who clearly can't manage his own affairs from dissipating all he has to live on.

Thank you. Pretty much thought that was where we were going but you added a few extra bits of info. I will definitely keep this URLed and use your service in the future for more complex issues involving myself. Thaks again
Bye for now!!

Sorry for the delayed respoons. I took a lunch break.

Yes, unfortunately, gaining control over his finances is where this ends if the fanily wants to know it has done absolutely all it possibly could to check this.

This is a very sad situation for families to find theselves in. Hopefully APS can have some suggestions.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Good luck!

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney