I have a non compete, which I have not signed yet and have a…

I have a non...

I have a non compete, which I have not signed yet and have a question about it. It is for a final expense only telesales insurance firm. But it states that for one year I cannot work in ANY telesales environment, or sell ANY form of life insurance products in ANY of the 50 states or territories. I will only be servicing eight states, and it's based out of Missouri, I will be working in Florida. It essentially bars an entire employment sector and includes language for direct and indirect competition. I also will be a 1099 contractor and will pay a monthly fee to access systems and obtain leads and will be prohibited to sell any products that are not related to the final expense insurance market niche. To me that's like a college telling me that although I earned a bachelor's in accounting I'm forbidden from working in the financial sector for a year regardless of capacity, even though I paid for my own education. I doubt an agreement like this would hold up in court, as it also contains other clearly illegal, or unenforceable provisions (such as repaying all commissions earned from the past twelve months upon separation which I equate to theft of wages), I do like this company and it's operations but am at a loss about this contract.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the non-compete agreement with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not yet, nor can I find any information or records of the company ever actually enforcing on an employee. Seems more like a blanketed scare tactic, although it could literally ruin my entire career.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will, 1099 contractor

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Although they will control my schedule, training, scripting, and metrics, it may also fall under employee misclassification. That's all I believe I don't think the company has any consideration on their end of the contact since I would pay them essentially a monthly subscription fee to work

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

3/17/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, awesome.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, you are correct. It is very restrictive and really would prevent you from working in this industry/sector if you leave. As such, a court may find that it is invalid and could not be enforced. However, for it to get to that point, you would need to leave, get hired by another company that does the same thing and they would need to find out and sue you. You would then have to defend it, so it is a matter if you want to go through all of this. You can also edit and modify it and come to an agreement. You can change it from one year to six months or edit it so that certain States you can work in and sell certain things. You do not have to just take it as is and can make changes and if they refuse, reject it and work for someone else.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All good advice. I did attach a copy. And that's exactly what I was thinking. As technically it could keep me from working even in an office environment of they owned a phone system at all. I appreciate the help.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you have the chance to review the doc?
That is outside the scope of what we are able to do but I am happy to answer any questions which you will may have.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney