If I married a woman in 1992 in Idaho and never dissolved…

Customer Question
If I married a...

If I married a woman in 1992 in Idaho and never dissolved the marriage and remarried in 1994 to a different woman in washington state is the washington state marrage legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in ID family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know how the state of washington recognizes the latter marraige

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

The second marriage can be annulled if the second wife wants to do so since this is bigamy.For you to legalize marriage number 2 here you have to divorce wife one, and then annul second one and remarry again.I know its complicated but thats the only way its going to be legalized.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does the second wife have any legal recourse against me if she wants a divorce
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Washington state’s version of annulment is called a "declaration of invalidity." This article explains the declaration of invalidity, tells you how to get one, and describes the effects of a declaration of invalidity in Washington.

FEATURED LISTINGS FROM NOLO

Featured Divorce Law Firms In Austin, TX change location

Shumway Van

3.9/5.0

***-***-****

contact

Ed Walsh

5.0/5.0

View Phone

contact

Schaubhut, Larry P., Jr.

4.4/5.0

***-***-****

contact

Larry P. Schaubhut, Jr.

4.4/5.0

***-***-****

contact

VIEW ALL

If you have additional questions after reading this article, contact a Washington family law attorney for advice.

What is a Declaration of Invalidity?

Although both are used to end a marriage, a declaration of invalidity and divorce are different. A divorce ends a valid marriage, while a declaration of invalidity (just like its name hints) means a court has decided that there was never a valid marriage in the first place.

What are the Grounds for a Declaration of Invalidity?

You need a legal "ground" (reason) to have your marriage declared invalid in Washington. Washington recognizes the following seven grounds:

• Underage – a spouse was too young to be married in Washington
  • Bigamy – a spouse has another living husband or wife
  • Incest – the spouses are related, closer than first cousins
  • Incompetence – a spouse was mentally unable to consent to the marriage; insane, intoxicated, or incapacitated
  • Duress – one spouse was coerced into getting married
  • Fraud – a spouse defrauded the other about something essential to the marriage, and
  • Force – one spouse got married only because of threats or physical force.

She can get an annulment here claiming bigamy.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

She can file for annulment here, it was bigamy and grounds for annulling the second marriage.

I appreciate the followup and chance to help you.I wish you the best here.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

That would leave you with just needing to divorce the first wife.

Ray, Lawyer