We live in Illinois. My 84-year old and sick brother has…

Customer Question
We live in Illinois...

We live in Illinois. My 84-year old and sick brother has been trying to get a lump-sum distribution of his small retirement account from Nationwide Retirement Solutions, a finance company located in Columbus, Ohio. My brother stammers and does not communicate very well so I have a certified copy of a power of attorney on file. The amount involved is not much so we cannot afford an expensive attorney unless we can sue for damages. My brother has been asking for his money numerous times for more than three months now - after having filed officially filed two official request for his retirement account to be deposited in his checking account. He needs 'his money' to pay his medical bills.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an IL lawyer about this?

My 84-year old brother has been denied his retirement account being held by Nationwide Retirement Solutions of Columbus, Ohio. We live in North Chicago, Ill. My brother has requested numerous times - twice officially and in writing - for over three months. His requests have been continuously denied because we are poor and my brother made all kinds of mistakes answering questions. I have a signed certified copy of a power of attorney designating me as agent/attorney-in-fact. The amount involved is not much. We cannot afford much for legal fees unless we can sue for damages which we are hoping we could ask for. We have not talk to any lawyer before.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Filed two written requests and made numerous phone contacts asking for the balance of my brother's retirement account. He is entitled to get it because he is over 70-1/2 years old.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is is possible to sue for damages so that it will not cost much to file this suit?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
On review of your facts, you have a good case. Counsel can handle on commission. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”