I received a call that contacted my job and I called him…

Customer Question
I received a call...

I received a call that contacted my job and I called him back yesterday about an unpaid online loan of mines from 2013 the more I think bout it believe it to be a scam

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wants me to come up wit all dis money gave me two options to do before this month ends. I used a spam app earlier and it identified different place than he said

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None I told him I would call him back on Monday to make arrangements n paying it and so he says he can get the amount down way less than he says has accumulated over the years

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Name supposed to be Bob Alexander phone number is(***) ***-****

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Do you remember takiing out any such loan?

This sort of thiing is frequently a common scam, and if you suspect that you don't owe this debt, you're almost certainly right about it. In tough economic times, unscrupulous people buy up old debts for pennies on the dollar and then reach out to people and try to intimidate them into paying monies they don't really have to pay. This one is also harassing you in the workplace, which is improper.

Don't call him on Monday. Don't call him EVER. If he calls you, you have the right to ask this collection agent to send you written validation of this debt, because you are allowed this under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a Federal act designed to protect consumers from predatory collection agencies. Once they send you written validation, you can formally dispute the debt, which you should do in writing, by sending the collection agency a cease and desist letter, letting them know that they are in violation of both state law and the Federal government's Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Tell them in your letter to immediately refrain from contacting you again or anyone else such as your family or employer or that you will report them on the state level to your state Attorney General and on the Federal level to the Federal Trade Commission. Remind them that from here, every violation could get them fined $1,000.

If you really owe this money, they will have to serve you and sue you in civil court, but they cannot continue to call and bother you. If you don't owe the money, this should be the end of it all.

The Federal Trade Commission gives a wonderful overview of overaggressive and/or fake collection agencies and how to get them off of your back, where to report them, where to learn more, etc. And it is pretty straightforward. You can access that here.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

If these are out and out scammers, they may not respond to threats of Federal law, but you can simply ignore them and report them to our police, to your state attorney General, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov Good luck!

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney