I live in my mom's house still. I'm 19 & working on moving…

Customer Question
I live in my...

I live in my mom's house still. I'm 19 & working on moving out. My furniture was given to me by my stepdad. & everything else in my room is stuff that has been given to me over the years. Does she have the right to stop me from taking any of it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I've gotten almost everything packed into boxes & have a friends I can stay at. I was trying to sell my car this morning & she came outside & threatened to call the cops for trespassing. The car is in my name

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When I'm not home she goes in my room & goes through my belongings

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Legally no, if the items were gifted to you, the person making the gift would have given up any legal ownership after the gift was made. They could only try to stop you if they claimed they were only loaning you the items and they weren't gifts.

.

But normally if police get involved, they will tell her that it is a civil matter and to take it up in court if you take something she thinks is hers..

.

.

thanks

Also she got tires for my car over a year ago & is trying to take them off my vehicle. Is she legally allowed to do that?

no, not if they were a gift to you... even if you owe her money for them, she can only sue you for the money, not take the tires..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much